Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Pics and updates

Buenas Noches todos! I finally have internet after we spent two hours on the phone yesterday with spanish speaking internet service guy. So, here is a quick update of a few experiences I have had here...these are the good ones. I can share the others later when I am back in the USA and my parents won't have to worry about me anymore.

Here are some pictures of my first week in Bogota....they are few because I am still a bit nervous about taking my camera out in public or on the street drawing attention to the fact that I am a foreigner. Plus it is important that I watch my surroundings and hold tight to my stuff since we are in a big city.


There are a few pictures of the school where I am teaching. These are a few of the new school building. The old building is really cool too so I will get some pics of that soon. You will also see my wonderful view of the mountains, "la cordillera de los Andes", from the school. Remember, Bogota is at 8,660 ft in altitude so it isn't hot here as many would expect from a country close to the equator. The homes here have neither heat nor AC so we depend on the windows and sunlight. It's perfect!


Other pictures are of my first weekend here...the beautiful mountains and lake picture is close to where we had lunch after church on Sunday with the Principal of my school and her husband, as well as a well known singing group in the Christian Latin American community in the US and Latin America who was here to perform at some concerts. The singer, Ingrid Rosario, is Colombian but grew up in the US and attended Liberty University (however, she graduated in '98 so you Liberty people probably haven't heard of her). It was neat spending the day with them and getting to know them because they have an incredible passion for ministering to people through their music. Also, you will see the view on our small hike up the mountains right outside of Bogota. The cross was on the mountain where will were standing. You may notice how close the clouds are...I am soo amazed every time I look at the sky.






Other pictures are of the city while we have been on walks.


This weekend we are going on a few day trips so I should get some beautiful pictures of the city view from las montanas. Friday some of the group is going to take a chair lift type thing up to Monserrate where we will have dinner. Saturday we are taking a day hiking trip to Guatavita where we will see a laguna and maybe some other pieces of nature that Colombia has to offer. So be expecting more pictures.

Lastly, today at school during our staff meeting it was brought up that a family who has been part of the school for many years is struggling financially and cannot afford to send their four kids to the school anymore. The father's family business was shut down a few years ago because of bigger industries taking over and cannot find consistent job that can support his family. The mother has been working various jobs to make do but they are quickly going in debt. The school has tried to help them as much as possible the past few years but there isn't much more they can do. The children have a huge positive influence on their peers and are very well rounded. Many of us teachers have considered offering our stipend to them to help with the tuition but we are already on a tight budget and they want us to leave that as a last option. For the four kids to attend the school, it will cost the family 1,000 US dollars per month. This is important to me because the mother was very welcoming to me during my first few days here and was willing to give everything she had without letting their financial situation keep her from welcoming us to her country. If you, or anyone you know, are looking for a place to donate, the family would be very grateful and surprised, so please email me!

Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. Miss you all!

-Casey

No comments: