Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Hacker

So if you are wondering why I haven't posted a blog in a while, here is one explanation...

Oct 20- Oct 25: HACKER

On Saturday, October 20th I was talking online to Alan, my boyfriend, and getting ready for an all day concert "Raza de Campeones" of 5 Spanish Christian artists that I was super excited about. Alan mentioned to me that he had just received an email from me saying that I am was Africa. I told him that Bethany, a friend of mine here, had used my computer the day before and was probably playing a joke on him since he was going to be flying here next week. Then he copied and pasted the email into our chat and immediately it was no longer a joke. Someone had stolen my password and sent an email to everyone on my contact list. Alan noticed that I was signed in on my email chat so he sent a message and the "kcmacHacker" responded. He continued to email people on my contact list for a few days and ask for money from anyone who responded to the initial email. A few of my friends here created a fake email and went along with kcmachacker's scam for a few days. It was quite entertaining at times and lightened up the situation a bit, especially when "Dave Gonzalez" reminded "kcmachacker" of their love affair and the poetry and love songs and memories they had shared. To make it even more hilarious, Kcmachacker went along with it and said things like "I am crying", "I'm so sorry I did that to you", "Don't leave your wife for me, I don't deserve you", etc. However, the laughter did not completely dissolve how violated I felt and the feelings of losing part of my identity since so much of my life depends on internet and email while I am in Colombia. I had no way of contacting everyone that received the email because I did not have a list of my contacts. Fortunately kcmachacker does not speak very good English so it wasn't a very believable email. I also had stored many important things inside my email over the past year such as bank info, credit card numbers, passwords, plane tickets, and very special emails from very special people that I had saved as memories. AND since my Blog is through Google and connected with my Gmail account, I was unable to access it as well which explains me not updating everyone on the situation.

But good news! By the end of the week Gmail had responded and I was able to reclaim my email identity. I guess the positives are that I learned not to trust and depend on the internet so much and to not store important private info out in www land. I also saw how many people stand up for me and help out in tough situations. When my email was returned to me I read many emails that were sent to the hacker defending me. Many of the responses were witnessing to him and sharing our faith with him and it was such a blessing to read the message that those people were trying to share with him even if he blew them off. So, thanks to everyone who helped contact people and who helped me through that tough week!

No comments: